In an increasingly digital world, small businesses face unique challenges in establishing their presence and competing with larger corporations. But not all big corporations are “out to get” the little guy. In many ways, huge online businesses like eBay and Amazon actually do a lot of work to facilitate online sales for small and medium-sized enterprises. The Amazon Small Business Badge is just one example of how one of the world’s largest retailers is helping small businesses fight back and win.
What is the Amazon Small Business Badge?
The Amazon Small Business Badge serves as a visual indicator to customers that they are supporting a small, independent seller when making a purchase. The badge aims to promote and support small businesses by providing them with additional visibility and access to exclusive benefits within the Amazon ecosystem.
When customers see the badge, they know that they are directly supporting small-scale entrepreneurs and contributing to the growth and success of independent businesses. The badge itself is a small logo of a shop and the text “Small Business” that appears underneath listings in search and also on the product details page itself:
The Benefits of the Amazon Small Business Badge
You may be wondering whether the process of applying for the badge is worth it. Small businesses trading on Amazon and displaying the Small Business Badge have many advantages. These include:
- Enhanced Visibility: The Small Business Badge distinguishes your brand, increasing its visibility among Amazon customers. It acts as a trust signal, assuring customers that they are supporting a small business with their purchase, fostering a sense of community and encouraging buyer loyalty.
- Enhanced Credibility: Any badge granted to a seller by Amazon lends a sense of legitimacy to that business. It lets the customer know that Amazon has inspected that business, verified it and found it worthy of Amazon’s backing.
- Dedicated Promotion: Amazon actively promotes small businesses with the badge through various initiatives, such as the “Support Small” storefront. This exposure can lead to increased product discoverability and sales, as well as opening doors to new customers and markets.
- Access to Special Deals: Small businesses with the Amazon Small Business Badge gain access to exclusive deals and promotions. These opportunities help drive customer engagement, increase sales, and create a competitive advantage within the vast Amazon marketplace.
Check Before Applying
There are a number of criteria sellers must meet before being accepted into the program. We recommend ensuring your account is in good standing before applying.
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Your business must be registered brand owners through Brand Registry or actively participate in the Handmade program.
- You must have less then 100 employees.
- Your annual revenue must be less $50 million.
What else can you do to improve your visibility and sales on Amazon?
Applying and getting the small business badge on Amazon may improve your visibility and sales, but what other steps can you take to improve these and your rankings on Amazon?
- Optimise Your Account: Review your seller account’s performance metrics to ensure they meet Amazon’s standards. These metrics include customer feedback, order defect rates, and on-time shipment rates. Strive to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Improve Your Storefront: Enhance your product listings and storefront to provide a seamless shopping experience. Use high-quality images, detailed product descriptions, and accurate pricing information. Optimise your listings with relevant keywords to improve discoverability. Highlight your unique selling proposition, company story, and any relevant certifications or awards you have received.
- Monitor Your Customer Feedback: Encourage customers to leave positive feedback and promptly address any negative reviews or customer queries. Demonstrating excellent customer service helps build trust and a positive reputation on Amazon.
How to Apply for an Amazon Small Business Badge
You can contact Selling Partner Support UK, or Selling Partner Support US and provide the name of your brand and company, business address, and your merchant token ID, and they will review your eligibility in the program. You can expect a reply within 10 business days from your initial request.
Once your business is deemed eligible, all products in your Amazon Store will display the Small Business Badge.
To learn more about how Frooition can help you design and optimise your Amazon Brand Storefront and apply for the Amazon Small Business Badge, schedule a free discovery call with one of our eCommerce experts today.